Students learn money management through CSUNopoloy

The Financial Aid and Scholarship Department in collaboration with the USU gave students the opportunity to learn how to manage their money through a game, CSUNopoly, Tuesday.

CSUNopoly is a Monopoly themed yearly event held in Plaza del Sol in the USU and is set up to engage students by providing them information that could help them make wiser financial decisions.

Gregorio Alcantar, financial aid counselor and chair of the committee for the event, said the event began in 2006 and since then has grown every year.

“We are always available and (students) don’t have to be alone in this process,” Alcantar said.

Beatriz Galvan, assistant intern for the USU, said the event used to be held in Bayramian Hall, but the Financial Aid and Scholarship Department switched to the USU because it attracts more students.

The event brings different departments together to promote financial help and other services that students might not know of such as the Career Center and scholarships on campus.

The event offered free food from Hot Dog on a Stick and had music. There was also a money booth where students could catch blown artificial bills and would be able to win a tote bag or a free gift card for the Mercantile Exchange convenience store.

Kamaria Holden, 20, junior marketing major said what attracted her to the event were the free hot dogs, but was glad to learn about different tools offered through the Financial Aid website.