DIY Ganache and Macerated Mint-Infused Raspberries

Forget about that 3-year-old bottle of Hershey’s chocolate syrup in your cabinet—here’s an easy recipe for homemade chocolate sauce that’s sure to impress. The recipe is actually a 2-in-1 deal and can be incorporated into many dessert options, from chocolate-dipped fruit to cupcake frosting. Both the ganache and the macerated raspberries requires only three ingredients, at a total cost of around $6 for either ($12 for both).

Ingredients (Ganache):

8 ounces (by weight)  Bittersweet chocolate chips, or chopped if in block form

1 cup (8 fluid ounces) Heavy cream—FYI heavy whipping cream is the same thing

2 cups (1 pound) Ice cubes

Utensils:

1 Medium stock pot

1 Medium stainless steel mixing bowl

1 Large mixing bowl, filled with ice

1 Thermometer

1 Metal wire whisk

1 Yard plastic wrap

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Cool Time: 5 minutes

Instructions:

1. Fill a medium stock pot with water an inch below the rim and to a simmer over high heat.

2. When the water begins to simmer set the stainless steel bowl in the water so it floats on the surface; reduce heat to medium-low ensuring the water temperature stays below 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Add the chocolate chips and slowly whisk until they begin to melt; when the chips become smooth, add the heavy cream in three even increments, continuing to whisk gently.

4. Once all the heavy cream has been mixed with the chocolate chips, turn off the heat and remove mixture from the water; set the mixture atop the bowl filled with ice and continue to whisk gently until the ganache reaches room temperature (65-70 degree Fahrenheit).

5. With the ganache cooled, cover it with the plastic wrap- the plastic wrap should make contact with the surface of the ganache so that the mixture doesn’t develop a “skin” on its surface; DO NOT REFRIGERATE.

The velvety texture of ganache is ideal for chocolate-dipped strawberries, or fold it with whipped cream to turn it into cupcake frosting.

Ingredients(Macerated Mint-Infused Raspberries):

1/2 pint (1/2 cup) Red raspberries

6 tablespoons Granulated sugar, white

1 dozen (12) Mint leaves

Utensils:

1 Medium mixing bowl

1 Wood spoon or silicone spatula

1 Coffee mug

1 Dinner plate

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Rest Time: 30 minutes

*No cooking necessary

Instructions:

1. Wash the raspberries and pat dry with a paper towel, add to the mixing bowl.

2. Place the sugar and mint into the coffee mug and muddle (smash) with a wood spoon or spatula for 10-15 seconds; this process will release the natural oils in the mint.

3. Add the muddled mint to the raspberries and lightly toss, then spread out the raspberries into one layer on a plate and let sit for 30 minutes; this process will extract the natural juices from the raspberries (macerated).

Macerated raspberries can be used as a filling for layered cakes, or you can blend the ingredients together to make a homemade raspberry preserve.