Women’s Water Polo: Matadors sweep in Redlands double-header

Early leads allowed No. 9 CSUN to sweep in the Redlands, Calif. double header, defeating Pomona – Pitzer 15 – 10 and Redlands 18 – 4 Sunday afternoon.

The Matadors led their first opponent Pomona 8 – 4 by halftime. Though the Sagehens tried to rally back with four points in the fourth, they were bested by CSUN’s five.

The degree of competitive intensity decreased from the first game to the second game. Though Pomona never matched CSUN in goals per frame, they scored every quarter, unlike Redlands, who went goalless twice.

Redlands had only three points by the halftime mark to compete with CSUN’s 13 goals.

Freshman goalkeeper Niki Van Vugt recorded a new season high nine saves in the Redlands game – a big reason for Redlands lack of points.

The high scoring performances was definitely a team effort, but freshman second string center Amy Yule was the high man in both games, scoring four goals apiece.

This is Yule’s third consecutive game scoring multiple goals. Yule scored two goals in Friday’s win versus the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Athenas.

Now on a three game winning streak, the Matadors (9- 5) have to prepare for the UC Irvine Invitational starting on Saturday February 21st. CSUN will get their rematch against San Jose State, who beat them 8 – 6 earlier this season.

_W8C8820 copy.jpg