CSUN students share advice, campus events to help conquer senioritis

Hamad Alijasmi, an electrical engineering major, studies at school in front of Bayramian Hall on Tuesday, January 26.

Symptoms of senioritis tend to flare up when students hit their the last semester of school and the start of life in the real world grows near.

The decline in motivation, lack of sleep, wearing sweatpants to school, or having the urge to skip class are a few symptoms of senioritis.

Even though it isn’t an official illness, many are familiar with the lack of school-related responsibilities. A common case of senioritis hits students on their last semester or year of graduation.

Christian Cabada, a senior majoring in civil engineering, has a few tricks up his sleeve for breezing through his senior year unscathed by senioritis.

“I take extra care of myself now in order to avoid getting sick,” Carbada said. “Having goals and tasks that I can accomplish in one day makes the bigger picture less stressful and reachable.”

He is also updating his resumé on a regular basis and making room to study to ensure that he passes all of his classes.

Rebecca Muanpho, majoring in public health, has some different advice for those stuck with senioritis.

Her senior year has been a juggling act as she searched for a balance between being a new mother, working at the Los Angeles Unified School District, managing two internships with a possible third on the way and being a member of the Delta Zeta sorority.

When asked how she has pulled through her senioritis, Muanpho said “not sleeping.”

As a warning to fellow seniors, she said a common bad trait is procrastination.

“Balance your schedule,” Muanpho said. “Whatever life hits you as a senior … don’t let anyone push you down.”

Kaitlyn Roush, a senior majoring in recreational and tourism management, said that “a group of friends for motivation,” is all students need.

Alma Cuevas, a history major who works at CSUN’s Career Center, said she has a minor case of senioritis.

“The thing with me is hair,” Cuevas sad. “I just wrap it up … in a bun.”

She also tries to wear comfortable clothes, which for her is sometimes difficult because of her job on campus.

Cuevas said the Career Center has plenty of helpful information for seniors struggling with the draining symptoms of senioritis during the final weeks or months of their college career.

Resumania, held this year on March 2, is an event where any student can get a one-on-one 10-minute critique of their resumé by a professional.

Interview Frenzy comes next on March 10. This event helps prepare college students for future interviews. Similar to Resumania, Interview Frenzy features a one-on-one 10-minute session with a professional, but substitutes help on a resumé with improving one’s interview skills.

The spring job fair is another event that stressed out seniors may want to check out. It will be held on March 15 and will offer students an opportunity to meet with different organizations offering jobs and internships.

GradFest quickly follows on March 16 and 17. Students can take a free cap and gown picture and win prizes. There will also be time to pre-order a cap and gown, pick out fun extras like a class ring or grad announcements, reserve graduation tickets, join the Alumni Association and partake in the senior class gift tradition.

One more event specifically focused on seniors is the Recent Graduation and Alumni Fair. This will be held on May 25. There will be employers searching and interviewing for potential positions to fill, but is focused on recent graduates.

If senioritis has affected you, check out the events listed above or head to the Career Center located in room 413 in Bayramian Hall for more information.