2 CSUN students involved in 5-car collision at Zelzah and Lassen

Back to Article
Back to Article

After a pursuit of a black Mercedes, cops used cones to block off lanes at the corner of Lassen and Zelzah causing traffic to build up around CSUN campus. (Ashley Grant / The Sundial)

Eric Licas

A police pursuit near CSUN ended in a collision involving five vehicles and two CSUN students just north of campus on Monday around 8:30 a.m.

Officers from the Devonshire Station noticed a black Mercedes Benz driving recklessly near Lassen and Reseda, and pursued the vehicle after the suspect failed to stop, according to Officer John Stafford from the LAPD Valley Traffic Division.

Officers in pursuit of a car driving recklessly ended in a five car collision in the middle of Lassen and Zelzah. No one was severely injured, but the suspect was taken to Northridge Hospital for further investigation. (Ashley Grant / The Sundial)

Security footage recorded from an apartment complex near the scene showed that a black Mercedes ran a red light before colliding with the vehicle of CSUN student Maryam Ghiassee, a senior chemistry major.

A witness at the scene saw flames and smoke underneath the suspect’s vehicle.

“I got out because I was scared it was going to explode,” Ghiassee said.

Richard Allen, 56, was waiting for a bus at the intersection when the collision took place. He reported hearing a loud screeching noise and the sounds of impact.

Photo by: Ashley Grant / The Sundial

“He never stopped accelerating, and almost flipped [Ghiassee’s car] over,” Allen said.

The suspect refused to exit his vehicle for 10 minutes before he surrendered to officers. He was later taken to Northridge Hospital Medical Center by ambulance. None of the victims were seriously injured, according to Stafford.