Wednesday news wrap up

Vandenberg Air Force Base fire. Photo Credit, 88.9 KPCC Twitter.

Entertainment

It was revealed today that Hollywood stars, actor Ryan Gosling, 35, and actress Eva Mendes,42, tied the knot earlier this year in a private ceremony with only a small number of family in attendance. The couple, who had been dating since 2011, have two young daughters, Amanda, 5 months and Esmeralda, 2-years-old. The secret nature of the marriage should come as no surprise to fans as the pair didn’t even reveal the birth of the children until the after they were already born. This is the first marriage for both.

(Credit to Daily Mail)

Sports

San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, has reportedly received death threats as an apparent result of his recent decision to kneel during the national anthem at games. This is in protest to the inequality and hostility faced by minorities by police. Kaepernick said the threats were from multiple sources. However, he has not reported them to the team or authorities. The recent death of an unarmed African American male in Tulsa, Ok at the hands of police is “a perfect example” of what Kaepernick is talking about. He recently pledged to donate $1 million throughout the year to support his local community and the 49ers offered to match it.

(NBC Sports)

Local

The 12,000-acre wildfire currently burning through the area surrounding Vandenberg Air Force Base is being contained by more than 1,000 firefighters. However, officials fear that windy conditions later in the week will potentially undo their progress. The fire, which started on Saturday, is said to be about 45% contained. Several buildings in the area are currently without electricity and the train service has been shut down. There have not been any fatalities, but four firefighters were treated for minor injuries this week.

(Credit to Los Angeles Times)

National

A U.S. Marine who was on leave for the weekend in Los Angeles has died after being on life support as a result of a gunshot wound to the head. 19-year-old Lance Cpl. Carlos Segovia Lopez was found on Friday night in his car in South Central. Police are searching for suspects after it is believed a car pulled up beside Lopez’s vehicle and at least one person fired a gunshot hitting Lopez in the head. According to the Facebook post of a family friend, Lopez was visiting friends and family in the area while on leave from San Diego’s Camp Pendelton. Lopez joined the marines six months ago and was a native of El Salvador before moving to the U.S. with his mother and becoming a citizen.

(Credit to ABC)

World

An airstrike in the Syrian city of Aleppo has killed five people, according to the international aid agency where the incident occurred on Tuesday night. The French-based group, Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations, was allegedly the intended target of the attack. It is being attributed to Russia by the U.S. after talks with the United Nations about a potential ceasefire broke down. Two ambulance drivers and two nurses were killed. A fifth medical worker was later reported to have died as a result of his injuries. The medical building was completely destroyed and more victims are thought to be buried under the rubble. There appears to be a shifting of blame as to who is responsible for the attack. Some blame the Russian government, while other say a Syrian rebel group was behind it.

(BBC World News)