Cantando: Economy

“Money Trees”
Kendrick Lamar
Kendrick Lamar grew up in Compton, where he faced poverty and channeled his energy into music. His 2012 triple platinum and Grammy-nominated album “Good Kid, M.A.A.d City” featured lyrics about the pervasiveness of economic disenfranchisement. The album track “Money Trees” featuring Jay Rock explores the youthful fascination with money. “A dollar might turn to a million and we all rich,” chants Lamar.

“9 to 5”
Dolly Parton
Country music icon Dolly Parton grew up impoverished in Tennessee. Parton sang in church and made it to the Grand Ole Opry by age 13. One of Parton’s signature songs, “9 to 5,” is about equal rights and pay for women in the workplace. The song and film it accompanied were named after 9to5, an American association founded in 1973 aimed to protect working women and families.

“All Things Go”
Nicki Minaj
Born in Trinidad and Tobago, Nicki Minaj grew up in an unstable household due to economic strife and her father’s addiction. “All Things Go,” the opening song of her 2014 album “The Pinkprint,” explores how fame and money have affected her life and relationships. “Cherish these nights, cherish these people,” says Minaj in the first verse. “Life is a movie, but there will never be a sequel.”

All screengrabs are taken from Genius.

“Make It Happen”
Mariah Carey
Mariah Carey grew up in New York with a mother working multiple jobs to support them. Carey sang from a young age, which eventually blossomed into her decades-long career. “Make It Happen” is the fourth song on her sophomore album “Emotions” and lyrically illustrates her perseverance. “If you believe in yourself and know what you want, you’re gonna make it happen.”