An enchanting evening with Disney at CSUN

Photo courtesy of Luis Luque.

The Soraya hosted Disney 100’s “Sound of Magic” concert on Nov. 18 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Great Hall.

The performance was conducted by CSUN alumni Richard Kaufman and included live performances of Disney classics done by the New West Symphony Orchestra.

The show’s theme was the beauty of Disney shown through nostalgia, love, disappointment, treachery, loss, and new beginnings over the last century.

Some guests entered the hall wearing Disney ears, while others dressed as their favorite characters for the occasion.

The audience was transported to the Disney universe as the introduction began with the performance of the classic Disney introduction. As the orchestra performed, there was a screen projecting montages from movies for the audience to follow along with. Behind the screen, there were lights that changed color depending on both the movie and the emotions.

Walt Disney appeared on the screen following the introduction and introduced Disney characters, such as Mickey Mouse. The first song performed was “Be Our Guest” from “Beauty and the Beast,” followed by a montage of other Disney features such as “Encanto,” “Little Mermaid” and “Lady and the Tramp.”

After the first segment, guest speaker Anika Rose, the voice of Tiana from the Disney film “Princess and the Frog,” was introduced. Rose talked about her experience with being casted as Tiana and the emotional connection she shared with the character.

“I was never into princesses, but as soon as I read the script I knew Tiana was me,” Rose said.

Once Rose had concluded, Walt Disney came back onto the screen and introduced Alice in Wonderland. The scene of Alice chasing the white rabbit was performed. Following the scene itself were different sketches of Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

More Disney classics followed such as: “Bare Necessities,” “I Just Can’t Wait to be King,” “Part of Your World,” and “Under the Sea.”

Following this portion was the introduction of love. The theme of love as seen in Disney was shown through the different Disney princesses and their princes. The orchestra played a combination of “I See the Light” from “Tangled” and “A Whole New World” from “Aladdin” showing both the innocence and the beauty of falling in love.

After the happiness of Disney had concluded, there was a 20 minute intermission where there was a variety of food and drinks for sale. Audience members discussed amongst themselves how impressed they were with the performance so far.

Much like myself, fellow attendees were eager for the intermission to end and see the performance continue, slowly piling back into their seats for the second act.

As the second act began, there was a sense of innocence through movies: “Peter Pan,” “Pinocchio,” “Dumbo” and “Bambi.”

Towards the end of the segment was the introduction of all the Disney villains. Characters such as The Voodoo Man, Jafar, and Ursula appeared on screen followed by their most villainous scenes.

Continuing the dark themes, was the idea of being an outcast. During this section, there was a monologue of different conflicts within Disney films such as “The Lion King”, “Dumbo”, and “The Aristocats.”

Following that segment was one of self-discovery shown through films like “Tangled” and “Moana.”

Concluding the second act, the audience was in a trance of emotion. As I became aware of my surroundings I noticed that those around me were sniffling and tears were streaming down their faces.

The second to last performance was the “Circle of Life” from “The Lion King” followed by a montage of various Disney movies with happy endings.

To conclude the performance, two time GRAMMY award nominee Gaby Moreno performed her own rendition of “When You Wish Upon A Star.” Following Moreno’s performance, was a standing ovation from the audience.

As the audience left the hall, everyone understood that dreams do in fact come true.

Throughout the performance was the sense of nostalgia that I noticed every person within the audience had felt too. Even attendees that were older sat in awe of the performance and were excited to look back on vignettes of different Disney films that have developed over the years on screen.

The performance itself was an amazing experience filled with both an amazing audience and a beautiful portrayal of time shown through Disney originals. It’s an emotional journey through Disney’s history that is highly recommended for everyone to attend, especially for avid Disney fans.