Brief: Faculty members still fighting for better pay

Students%2C+CFA%2C+and+CSUEU+members+strike+outside+CSUNs+library+in+Northridge%2C+Calif.%2C+on+Dec.+5%2C+2023.+
Griffin O’Rourke
Students, CFA, and CSUEU members strike outside CSUN’s library in Northridge, Calif., on Dec. 5, 2023.

The California Faculty Association at CSUN organized a one-day strike on Dec. 5, calling on the CSU for a 12% pay increase and more benefits.

The strike started with a rally outside CSUN’s library, where food and water were handed out to demonstrators, which included students, CFA members and union supporters.

Music blared through speakers as demonstrators held picket signs and bullhorns. Leaders of the strike turned the rally into a march around campus.

The strike eventually moved to Valera Hall, CSUN’s administrative building. Outside Valera Hall, strikers produced a cacophony with chants, alarms and megaphones.

Union members called for a 12% pay increase, pay equity, manageable workloads, more counselors, expanded parental leave, more lactation stations and gender-inclusive restrooms.

The campus remained open despite the strike.

Nate Thomas, president of CSUN’s CFA chapter, was present at the strike.

“The faculty are unhappy and they’re not greedy. They want to be paid,” Thomas said. “$75,000 to $80,000 is nothing to bring a faculty with a PhD into the CSU to teach full time, not in Los Angeles, not in California. That’s nothing.”

The CSU called the CFA to return to the negotiating table by Dec. 12 after the series of one-day strikes across CSU campuses.

Student faculty, like business law major Karla Montalvo who works as office staff, also marched for better pay and benefits.

Montalvo said she has been struggling with low pay and an increasing workload.

“They [CSU] need to stop thinking about themselves and tap into that $8 billion they have,” Montalvo said. “It’s not about what we want, but what we deserve.”

A number of students also came to strike in solidarity, like philosophy student Haruyuki Miyoshi.

“I think it’s a cause that should be spread throughout the country. Thankfully, labor unions are on the rise again,” Miyoshi said.

More updates to come.