Measles discovered in Northridge

Adobe+Stock.
Felipe Caparrós – stock.adobe.com
Adobe Stock.

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health reported that a person who flew into Los Angeles International Airport on a flight from Istanbul, Turkey, on Jan. 25 has contracted measles.

The person landed at LAX around 5 p.m., and then visited the Chick-Fil-A in Northridge, located on Devonshire Street, around 8 p.m. Individuals present at either of these locations may be at risk of contracting the virus.

Measles usually presents itself a week after exposure. People who have had no symptoms for 21 days are no longer at risk, according to the Department of Public Health. Those who have not been vaccinated and have never contracted the virus before are at risk.

The department advises people who were at those locations to monitor any symptoms, and stay home if symptoms develop. People should also contact their healthcare provider if they have symptoms, or if they are pregnant, have an infant, have a weakened immune system or have not been vaccinated.

Symptoms include a fever higher than 101 F, a cough, runny nose and red or watery eyes. Tiny white spots might appear inside the mouth 2-3 days after symptoms start. A rash, which typically starts at the face, might appear 3-5 days after the first symptoms.

This is the first reported case of the measles in LA County since 2020.

The Department of Public Health is investigating other locations the person may have visited.