Matador Marquee: Asian American films

May is special due not only to April showers bringing May flowers, but also due to it being Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Asian Americans have a rich history in cinema, and the following five titles are all about the Asian American experience, which entertain and teach alike. These films help viewers feel seen and heard with relatable life experiences, as well as educate viewers who are not Asian American.

“The Farewell” is a 2019 film starring the ubiquitous Asian star, Awkafina. This A24-produced film deals with Awkafina’s character, Billi, having to travel to China under a false pretext with her whole family. This deception is toward Billi’s grandmother as she is diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer and the family wants to use the pretense of a wedding in order to have the family come together to see her one last time. This movie deals with the Asian American struggle of having to balance Eastern and Western values, with the main character constantly conflicted whether to tell her grandmother about the cancer or keep up the lie to protect her. The family-focused film is a heavy but poignant watch with moments of levity.

“Monkey Man” is a 2024 film about a man who seeks revenge against the group of people who murdered his mother. This bloodsoaked tale takes the viewer on a ride around India as actor, writer and director Dev Patel fights for the revenge he so desperately longs for. With hand-to-hand action and an engaging plot, this film is riveting from the jump. While it does not take place in the United States, it is a globally promoted film highlighting South Asians, who are often overlooked in conversations of Asian Americans.

“Joy Ride” is a raunchy 2023 comedy about four friends who travel through China to figure out their futures, but also themselves. This film is a laugh riot as the friends are crass, sexual and hilarious in their banter and conversations. The movie highlights the Asian American experience of conflict between not fitting in the West because they are Eastern looking and not fitting in the East because they are Western acting. The main character also goes through the struggle of having to be a model minority and repressing one’s true self to reach success.

“The Debut” is a 2000 film about a Filipino American named Ben, played by Dante Basco, who is at a crossroads in his life between becoming a doctor, which is what his father wants him to be, or an artist. The main character’s experience is familiar to many people as the dreams of the family can differ from one’s own ideas of what their life should be. Alongside a 2001 Ammy Award for Best Independent Film, it was groundbreaking as the first Filipino American film to get a national theatrical release.

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” is a 2022 film dealing with a middle-aged Chinese woman who discovers that her daughter in another universe is willing to destroy the whole multiverse. This film combines heart, soul, toilet humor and love all into an under two-and-a-half-watch, which was awarded Best Picture by the Academy. This film highlights the differing Asian American experiences of immigrant parents and first-generation children, and explores the misunderstandings between the two, which can distance them.