Final take: October movie releases

10/1/2010

“The Social Network”
The tagline advertises, “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies.” David Fincher’s “The Social Network” chronicles the rise of Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg from “Zombieland”), the 26-year-old billionaire, CEO, president and co-founder of Facebook who formed the web empire in his Harvard dorm room. Zuckerberg allegedly stole the concept of Facebook and forced former friends out of the company. Lawsuits were filed and became the film’s basis from the book “The Accidental Billionaire.” Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin guides the stalwart story to life with a star-studded cast, including Andrew Garfield (“Spiderman”), Justin Timberlake, Rooney Mara (“The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”) and Rashida Jones (“The Office”).

“Let Me In”
Remake shouldn’t prevail in any filmmakers’ vocabulary. Matt Reeves (“Cloverfield”) understood that after remaking the 2008 Swedish cult vampire film, “Let the Right One In.” I was hesitant endorsing any remake, but after seeing “Cloverfield” and “Kick Ass” this year I have reaffirmed my faith. “Let Me In” portrays a bullied boy and his 12-year-old neighbor- a vampire- played by Chloe Grace Moretz (“Hit Girl” from “Kick Ass”). The two perfectly matched misfits develop into best friends to overcome life’s daily obstacles in Los Alamos, N.M. Co-stars include Academy Award nominee Richard Jenkins (“Step Brothers” and “The Visitor”) and Elias Koteas (“Casey” from “The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” films).

10/8/2010

“It’s Kind of a Funny Story” (Limited Release)

“Nowhere Boy” (Limited Release)
Aaron Johnson (“Kick-Ass”) stars as John Lennon in the true story and formation of the most majestic of rock ‘n’ roll groups, The Beatles.  Teenage Lennon journeys to become one of the most prolific musicians of the 20th century.  Kristin Scott Thomas co-stars as Aunt Mimi (“The English Patient”) while Thomas Sangster (“Love Actually”) portrays a young Paul McCartney.

“Buried” (Wide Release)
Ryan Reynolds (star of the upcoming “Green Lantern” movie) stars as Paul Conroy, a U.S. truck driver who discovers himself trapped inside a coffin in Iraq. With only a cellphone and a lighter, how long will he survive and subsist? The plot is reminiscent of a scene from “Kill Bill Vol: 2” when Beatrix Kiddo (a.k.a The Bride) is buried alive, however this story line comprises the entire film. Independent horror films have created sensations over the years with films like “Saw” and “Hostel.” Can this film actually weather and withstand tension throughout?

10/15/2010

“Jackass 3D”
Johnny Knoxville and gang return in the latest “Jackass” installment. Farce, gags, ludicrousness and wisecracks prevail in this must-see comedy film. You won’t be disappointed by one of the most talked-about films of the year.

10/22/2010

“Paranormal Activity 2”
The trailer evokes grainy footage of a dog, baby in crib, and a hooded figure standing in the doorway. The mirror reads, “What is happening to Hunter?” Though little is known about the film, Oren Peli, writer and director of the original film, has acknowledged concerns about making a sequel to a cultural phenomenon. Expect “Saw 2” over “Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows.”

“Hereafter”
Clint Eastwood, the iconic director of “Mystic River,” “Million Dollar Baby” and “Gran Torino” delivers a solid film written by Peter Morgan (“The Queen” and “Frost/Nixon”). This thriller intertwines a factory worker (Matt Damon- “The Bourne” Trilogy), a French journalist (Cecil De France- “High Tension”), and an English boy as they all deal with death in different ways. The film also co-stars Jay Mohr (“Jerry Maguire”) and Bryce Dallas Howard (“Spiderman 3,” “Lady in the Water” and “Twilight: Eclipse”).

10/29/2010

“Saw 3D”
Like its preceding sequels, the “Saw” series has deteriorated to the same shtick-boring and predictable. From a series that once revived the horror genre, it has become the one thing it detested….formulaic. The film stars Sean Patrick Flannery (“Connor” from “The Boondock Saints” movies) while Tobin Bell reprises his role as “Jigsaw.” Let the games begins, but let’s hope this is the concluding chapter of a once promising horror series.