Final Take: November DVD releases

11/2/2010

“The Larry Sanders Show”
Suggested Retail: Complete Series $149.99 (DVD), Second Season $34.93 (DVD)

One great sidesplitting, slapstick TV show is finally materializing on DVD after a long, drawn-out delay. Standup comedian Garry Shandling stars as neurotic talk show host Larry Sanders in a show focusing on behind-the-scenes scenarios in Hollywood, with celebrities portraying exaggerated versions of themselves.

“Toy Story 3”
Suggested Retail: $29.99 DVD, $39.99 2-Disc Blu-ray and $45.99 DVD/Blu-ray Combo

Fifteen years ago, we were initially introduced to little Andy and his favorite toys Woody and Buzz Lightyear in “Toy Story.” Now, Andy needs to assimilate adulthood and put away his toys as he leaves for college. “Toy Story 3,” a heartwarming and entertaining movie, easily soars as one of the top 10 best films of the year.

11/9/2010

“Grown Ups”
Suggested Retail: $28.96 DVD, $34.95 Blu-ray and $38.96 DVD/Blu-ray Combo

Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade and Rob Schneider star as five friends who reunite over the Fourth of July weekend after their childhood basketball coach dies. To honor his memory, they get together at the lake house where they had long ago celebrated their championship years. It’s a simple, charming and cheerful comedy.

“Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”
Suggested Retail: $29.98 DVD/ $39.98 Blu-ray

Michael Cera stars as musician Scott Pilgrim, a guy who has trouble finding a suitable girlfriend. After literally discovering his dream girl in Ramona, Pilgrim needs to fight her seven evil exes in order to date her. Directed like a videogame, Edgar Wright (“Shaun of the Dead”) has created a grand “geek” film and the perfect picture for videogame nerds everywhere.

11/16/2010

“Metropolis”
Suggested Retail:  $29.98/39.95

Fritz Lang’s silent-screen masterpiece finally arrives for the small screen. Lang’s magnum opus sci-fi feature redefined and revolutionized what was possible to do with film.  “Metropolis” is one silent film everybody should see. The fully restored film version includes 30 “lost” minutes.

Other notable DVD/Blu-ray releases include: “Californication” Season Three (DVD only) and “Charlie St. Cloud” (DVD and Blu-ray) on 11/9/2010, “The Kids Are All Right” (DVD and Blu-ray) on 11/16/2010, “Eat Pray Love” (DVD and Blu-ray) and “The Expendables” (DVD  and Blu-ray), “I’m Still Here: The Lost Year of Joaquin Phoenix” (DVD and Blu-ray) n 11/23/2010, “Knight and Day” (DVD and Blu-ray) and “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” (DVD and Blu-ray) on 11/30/2010.