2012-13 VPAC season announced

Since the Valley Performing Arts Center opened last year it has been bringing top notch performances to the CSUN community, and the upcoming season is planned out to be no different.

The performances lined up for this year represent a wide variety of categories, according to David Mascarina, manager of new media for the VPAC.

“We have performances in Broadway and American song, classical and orchestra, dance groups, premier performances, emerging artists and more,” Mascarina said.

With performers coming from all over the world, audiences will be exposed to a range of acts.

“This brings the campus to a new level by showing interest in world artists,” Mascarina said. “Faculty and students can see world-class performances on campus without having to drive downtown.”

Mascarina notes that the main goal of the VPAC is to give not only those on campus, but also those in the community the ability to have access to these world-class performers.

Since the VPAC is open to the public, ticket prices range from $20 up to $85, depending on the show you choose to see.

“We do offer a 40-percent discount for students and 20-percent discount for faculty and staff,” Mascarina said.

The 2012-13 season will begin with a show by Asphalt Orchestra on Sept. 8, at 8 p.m. in the Great Hall.

Other performances to look forward to include Merle Haggard and Kris Kristofferson as part of the premier series, Cirque Chinois (the National Circus of the People’s Republic of China), the Acting Company’s presentation of “Of Mice and Men,” emerging classical guitarist Milos, Bebe Neuwirth: Stories with Piano and much more.

In addition to discounts for faculty and staff, viewers have the choice to purchase subscriptions or single tickets. Subscriptions are available starting May 8, and single tickets are available on June 5.

Depending on the number of performances someone wants to see, there are different levels of subscriptions with a discount to go with it.

The Super subscription offers the most benefits, allowing you to see all the performances scheduled for that season. In addition to that, they will be offered at a 40-percent discount.

If you would like to only see shows from a specific category, then the Series subscription may be the better option. With this subscription, viewers can pick any category they so choose, dance for example, and will be offered a 20-percent discount.

If you still want to experience the 20-percent discount but do not think that you will want to see as many shows, the Choose Your Own Eight subscription may be for you. This allows you to pick any of the eight shows over the course of the season.

Finally, if you want to see less than eight shows, Choose Your Own Four may be the best choice. Much like choose your own eight, you will choose any four shows over the course of the season and will receive a 10-percent discount.

The VPAC uses radio spots, newspapers, websites, blogs and social media to reach out to potential artists and their fanbases, Mascarina said.

“Social media is the biggest way for us to reach out to artists,” he said. “We have a Twitter, Facebook and Foursquare.”

For more information on upcoming events at the VPAC, visit http://www.valleyperformingartscenter.org/.