Rizal, Abtp. will celebrate Jose Rizal at VPAC

There are many heroes worthy of praise that changed the course of history. In examining their lives, we gain a deeper understanding of good character. These are heroes worthy of great reverence.
    Let me tell you about a man worthy of such reverence. There was a man named Dr. Jose Mercado Rizal. He is the national hero of the Philippines. He peacefully acted in hopes of ending the Spanish occupation in the Philippines. Having been a master of over twenty languages, he travelled the world and studied in different universities making a name for himself and his people.
    There are many memorials around the world where this man is honored. You can find his statue in Spain, Peru, Singapore, Germany, and California just to mention some of them. But, a statue and words of exaltation can only say so much.
Despite having so many memorials all over the world, the name Jose Rizal is not instantly recognizable to an overwhelming majority of Filipinos. The Rizal Atbp. Street Team made their presence known in CSUN on the first two days of this fall semester.  Not many Filipinos who were drawn to the Rizal Atbp. booth because of a poster  that read “what’s so great about being Filipino?”  could answer yes to the question “does the name Jose Rizal ring a bell?”
The  nonprofit organization, Anglahi USA, has come out with a play that pays tribute to this man who made his mark in history. The shows title is Rizal Atbp. (Atbp. is short for “at iba pa” which translates to “and others in English”). The show is not only a biography of Dr. Jose Mercado Rizal, but also a story about an American-Filipino named Joey who has limited knowledge about his ethnic background. He then studies about Rizal’s life and comes to many realizations about who he is and who his people are.
There are some CSUN students who are involved in this production. I am playing a supporting role. Current freshman in the Liberal Arts program Kathy Rodriguez is promoting in several schools. Raymond Prudencio who graduated from the Kinesiology program is  alsoperforming and a  graduate from the CTVA program, Jed Fillarca, will be playing the main character Joey.
I’m privileged to be part of Rizal Atbp. and its mission of lifting up the Filipino race. ”Fillarca said        “(It’s) a beautiful reminder to each of us to truly excel wherever we are as Filipino Americans.”
      This play has been to San Fransisco and San Diego. The Filipino communities among other non -Filipino communities have received the show and its message cheerfully. The The Filipino Channel ,TFC’s, show Adobo Nation has featured our play in last week’s episode. The LA 18 shows Kababayan LA showed our trailer and interviewed our representatives and they were glad to see that the message of this play is relevant to the young Filipino Americans here in the States.
We hope to see the same results here in CSUN. The date will be September 8. There will be a matinee at 1pm and a gala at 7pm. Tickets start at $12 for the balcony seats for both shows, and for other seats there will be a student discount.
For more information, call Amber Rodriguez: 818 825 9851, visit our website www.rizalatbp.com or like the Anglahi USA page on Facebook (www.facebook.com/anglahiusa).