Special election for Matador football team postponed

UPDATED WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Associated Students Vice President Christopher Woolett announced Friday that the special election to decide the creation of a Matador football team will be postponed until Fall 2013.

General Manager David Crandall said that the procedures to put together the election could not be completed in time by the Student Fee Advisory Committee, but assured the senators that the issue was not going away.

“The SFAC consulted with the Division of Administration and Finance to determine the accurate numbers,” Crandall said. “The process would have needed effort by all involved to have been complete just a few days after it was passed by Senate and we have been told it simply could not have been done in the time available.”

Students may have the opportunity to vote in a survey that will be on the ballot during spring elections for senators to have a better idea of what the student body thinks about organizing a football team.

“The referendum is still alive,” Crandall said. “Your president has been working very hard to get this matter settled once and for all.”

But there is also a chance the referendum could change, Crandall said. There is the question of whether students attending summer classes will also be subject to the fee increase that would be created by the referendum.

“The Senate referendum did not have the summer students paying the fee, the SFAC version did,” Crandall said. “One of the numbers that had to be crunched in the short time was how much that would be for the summer students (around 5,000 of them) and therefore how much that would reduce the fall-spring fee.”

No numbers have been confirmed at this time.

Also in the meeting, Christina Villalobos, public information officer for CSUN Police Department, gave a presentation on the services provided on campus.

“We do more than hand out citations and make arrests on campus,” Villalobos said.

She talked about the different divisions within the police department and their various roles on campus.

Villalobos also reminded the senators that the CSUN Parking and Transportation Unit provides free vehicle jump-starts and lock-out assistance to any vehicle on campus.

Before ending, the Senate approved the appointment of Gabriel Ylo as a Senator for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, along with the approval of theEta Nu Chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity’s constitution.