Emergency preparedness expo teaches students about fraud, earthquake kits

An emergency preparedness expo provided students and community members with information on personal safety and emergency preparedness supplies.

The event was coordinated by the Community Emergency Response Team and Crime Prevention Unit.

Kit Espinosa, emergency management and preparedness coordinator for CSUN PD, said the core of the program is personal preparedness so students, faculty and staff can come back and help the university.

“This event helps make us a more resilient community by informing faculty, staff and students on emergency preparedness,” Espinosa said.

Many on and off campus vendors were present such as the Student Health Center, Southern California Gas Company, CSUN PD, Wells Fargo, Red Cross, Costco and the geology department.

Ann Stahl, investigator with the federal trade commission and professor in the family and consumer science department, informed students on consumer fraud both on and offline, job scams and identity thefts.

“An agency like ours tries to communicate with college students at the point where they are trying to make sense of offers of credit cards because they may not know the pitfalls of credit,” Stahl said. “I think in general if they do as much to educate themselves about consumer scams they are less likely to become a victim.”

The living with earthquakes in California course in the geology department had an activity for students to learn what is in a basic earthquake kit such as a radio, water, blanket, flashlight, first aid kit, food and a deck of cards.

Jade Woods, 20, junior cinema and television and arts major, said her favorite part of the expo was the what to grab during an earthquake activity presented by the geology course.

“It is important to have this event on campus so students can have an idea on how to handle certain situations,” Woods said.