A dozen dorm apartments, dining hall without running water

Construction crews work to fix a broken water line which was struck around 11 a.m. Tuesday, shutting off water for 12 dorm buildings and a dining hall for most of the day. Photo credit: Andrew Martinez / Daily Sundial

A water line was struck by construction workers around 10 a.m. Tuesday leaving several University Park Apartments (UPA) without running water.

University Park Apartments 6 through 18 were left without water, as well as the Geronimo’s dining hall, forcing students to use port-a-potties or head to campus for a bathroom or shower.

Students were notified via email of the incident, and were given an estimated time for the problem to be fixed. However, according to students the problem was not fixed by the given deadline due to a setback. Because of such, students residing within the affected buildings are still without water.

“We’ve already gone a whole day without showering, we have to leave the convenience of our apartment to use the restroom, we can’t brush our teeth unless we use a water bottle, we can’t do anything,” said Megan Donaghy, a junior radiologic sciences major living in the dorms.

Geronimo’s was shut down for most of the day because of the lack of water, but was opened for service around 5:30 p.m. in time for dinner, though there was still no running water at the time of opening.  Geronimo’s staff fed students pre-prepared meals and bottled beverages as well as food cooked fresh off of the grill. Students used paper plates and utensils to eat their meals.

“You have people with a meal plan, and some of them don’t have any funds to go out and eat,” said Geronimo’s manager John Johnson.  “We had some prepared food, so we’re trying to do what we can to give them something to eat and help out in the emergency.”

As of 9 p.m. Tuesday, the affected structures were still without running water.

Contributing reporting by Alex Vejar