CTVA Senior Film Showcase to spotlight student productions

The curtains will unfold on a talented bill of CSUN film majors Wednesday, May 7th at the Senior Film Showcase.

Beginning at 7:30 p.m. and free to the public, student film screenings will be held in the Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, located at 5220 Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood.

This will be the 24th annual showcase where polished senior-level students get a chance to display what they have learned after producing professional-quality films.

Hosting the event will be film director, writer and producer Randal Kleiser, best known for the American classic, “Grease.” There will be an on-screen retrospective of his work as he is to be presented with the University’s Cinematheque award.

Five films will be screened throughout the evening.

“Diana Leigh,” is set in the 1960s and focuses on the story of a young black woman fighting for her dreams to perform in the harsh realities of a racist America as well as her troubled past.

“If Ever There’s a Tomorrow” follows a veteran who returns from war to fulfill a childhood promise to walk his sister down the aisle on her wedding day.

“High Stakes” is set in Hollywood during Red Scare of the 1950s. A movie theatre owner is asked by his brother, a blacklisted filmmaker, to screen his latest film. The owner struggles with the decision that could jeopardize his own reputation and his business.

“Tips” tells the story of washroom attendant who, after catching a patron stealing her tips, choses not to report her to police. Instead, the attendant presents her with a life-changing offer.