Westfield Topanga prepares for grand opening for new KCSN station

KCSN’s newest location at The Village at Westfield Topanga is still constructed and will have its grand opening on September 18. Michelle Moran/ The Sundial

California State University, Northridge public radio station KCSN 88.5 has been a major broadcaster of new music and culture for the San Fernando Valley for years, and starting Sept. 18, the radio station will have another home at the Village in the Westfield Topanga Mall.
The partnership between KCSN and Westfield will allow the public to be more involved with the on-air broadcasts and live music that will take place in this new location. KCSN’s broadcast covers the majority of West Los Angeles and the entire San Fernando Valley along with all of Santa Clarita Valley. For the dedicated listeners that are not living in these areas, KCSN also streams their music on the Internet (www.kcsn.org) with no fees.
“I think KCSN is a good station for students since they feature a lot of new and current music,” said Karin Jacinto, a student at CSUN. “It’s great that they are expanding to other locations.”
In addition, Westfield has also partnered with local muralist Elkpen and UCLA’s School of the Arts and Architecture to curate and create art and music events at The Village.
“The Village is going to be a prototype of Westfield’s future initiative to create lifestyle engagement as part of the retail experience,” said Sky Daniels, General Manager and Program Director of KCSN. “Westfield understood the importance of having inspiring music curation, both on the sound system and in live performances.”
Along with Westfield, KCSN partnered with Harman/ JBL Pro to develop a state of the art audio system for their live performances. There will be a portable 16-by-24-foot wide performance stage outside the studio. This location will also feature an on-air radio broadcast studio.
“Westfield estimates 22 million people a year will visit The Village. This is an enormous opportunity for KCSN to be discovered and to represent CSUN, in the 5th wealthiest region in America,” Said Daniels.
KCSN is going to have live music starting on opening day with Matt Nathanson. There will be a stage for the live entertainment and a digital screen above it.
“KCSN is going to bring culture and music in a whole new way,” said Stephanie Eglin, Senior Marketing Director for Westfield. “You don’t typically get to see incredible talent in the common areas of shopping centers. I think it’s going to create an energy that only live music can create and I think it’s going to give people an insider’s look of a radio station.”
KCSN is going to have live music starting on opening day with Matt Nathanson, who will be performing that Friday. There will be a stage for the live entertainment and a digital screen above it.
“KCSN is going to bring culture and music in a whole new way. You don’t typically get to see incredible talent in the common areas of shopping centers. I think it’s going to create an energy that only live music can create and I think it’s going to give people an insider’s look of a radio station,” said Stephanie Eglin, Senior Marketing Director for Westfield.
“KCSN has a wide broadcast and it has a wide reach so we hope that it will ultimately help the awareness in general for The Village and for the specific retailers of The Village,” said Eglin.
The station has an extensive amount of music programs each day and the schedule can be viewed on the website. KCSN also host live in-studio sessions and interviews with up and coming artists.
In recent years, KCSN has had live acts that have included bands such as Alabama Shakes, Band of Horses, My Morning Jacket and Snow Patrol. Legendary artists have also graced the station such as Paul Weller, John Hiatt, Los Lobos and John Mellencamp.

KCSN attracts thousands of online listeners a day with their 24-hours a day, commercial free streaming service. The radio station plays a wide variety of music, from iconic rock to contemporary music; KCSN plays a vast selection of musical genres that appeal to any audience.