How CSUN’s Big Show compares with neighboring campuses

Photo courtesy of CSUN AS Big Show

Within the last five years Miguel, Kendrick Lamar, Diplo, and Wale have performed at a Southern California college campus at some point. The list of artists will only grow following college concerts at CSUN, UCLA, and CSULB.

With CSUN’s 15th annual “Big Show” is coming up on Oct. 3, featuring artists such as Tyga and DJ Carnage the event is already sold out, with 2,700 people already confirmed their attendance on Facebook.

Big Show has been a huge event that has left the campus buzzing for months, but CSUN is not the only southern California school putting on a major concert.

Compared to the Big Show, UCLA’s Bruin Bash is an annual campus concert put on by their Campus Events and Cultural Affairs Commissions. This years act is Hugo Leclercq or better known as Madeon. Opening for Madeon will be the duo NxWorries comprised of Anderson .Paak and producer Knxwledge.

Former UCLA student Omeed Alipoor says that the Bruin Bash was an event that seemingly attracted mostly first year students. “It’s something everyone else looks forward to starting the year” he says. “Depending on the line up.” Major names for the campus have included Kendrick Lamar in 2011, and Chiddy Bang in 2012.

ACA Hip Hop will also be performing at the Bruin Campus this year prior to the opening act as a tribute to Tracy Nguyen, an 18 year old UCLA student who passed away this summer of an apparent drug overdose at the HARD Summer Music Festival.

Tickets to the Bruin Bash are free and distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis from 2-6 p.m. on the IM field at the UCLA campus. The concert is presented by UCLA’s CEC and CAC and is powered by Nissan College Grad Program.

Another rivaling show is CSULB’s concert, which is put on by the Associated Students. The school had one of their first big concerts back in April of 2014 welcoming musical guests Miguel and Wale to the Walter Pyramid for performances.

According to their website after CSULB students first passed the ASI Fee Referendum in 2014, which allowed funding for major events like the 2014 Miguel concert.

Tickets sold for $10 per CSULB student, $20 for faculty and staff, and $60 for general admission.

CSULB student Shireen El-Maissi says the Miguel and Wale concert was big. “It was such a surprise for everyone at school because we’ve never seen something that big done here before” says El-Maissi. “It was huge.”

With tickets now sold out, several posts on the “Big Show’s” Facebook event page have shown people both looking to buy and attempting to sell tickets.

Originally concert tickets were selling for $20 to students with a valid CSUN ID, and $30 to guests (tickets must be purchased by a student with valid CSUN ID).

According to the CSUN Associated Students Annual Budget Overview for the 2014-2015 school year, ticket office sales have brought in about $280,000 in revenue for the school. A large part of which comes from Big Show’s ticket sales.

Former acts for the Big Show here at CSUN have consisted of Big Sean, and Diplo in 2012, and Afrojack in 2013.