Red meat scare sizzles on social media

The Report of the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010, suggests that Americans need to shift away from red meat. Photo credit: (Kirk McKoy/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

The World Health Organization released a statement on red meat causing cancer, alarming mainstream news organizations, Twitter and Facebook. Users took to all forms of social media to express their thoughts on the issue.

The WHO stated that “based on limited evidence red meat causes cancer in humans.”

Concerned individuals immediately took to the Internet. Social media compiled with tweets, Facebook posts and YouTube videos showing people’s thoughts on the red meat scare.

According to the WHO, “based on sufficient evidence in humans –– the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.”

Group 2A is a classification of meats that are likely carcinogenic to humans, according to the WHO. Meats included in Group2A are hot dogs, ham, sausages, corned beef, beef jerky, canned meat and meat-based preparations and sauces, the WHO said.

Photo credit: Saffana Hijaz
Photo credit: Saffana Hijaz

“The risk of developing colon cancer from eating processed meats is much lower than the risk of cancer from smoking cigarettes,” said Ellen Bowersfeld, registered dietician at the Klotz Center.

Bowersfeld advises that everyone keep the red meat issue in perspective and to not to panic. She said people should try to eat more plant-based, eat less processed foods and eat more whole foods.

Business major, Dominique Wright, didn’t find the news on red meat alarming. She said the news didn’t change her approach of how she cooks or consumes meat.

“If I eat red meat I try to go for grass-fed,” Wright said.

Photo credit: Vanessa Barajas & Saffana Hijaz

Students still concerned about their health can make an appointment at the Klotz Center online and receive nutrition counseling.

Click here to see the graph on meat consumption in the U.S.

Take the poll on which meat is most consumed here.

Photo credit: Saffana Hijaz & Vanessa Barajas