Men’s basketball admits violation, self-imposes ban

Raul Martinez / The Sundial
CSUN captured the lead twice in the last five minutes, but once again, faltered in the closing moments (File Photo / Raul Martinez / The Sundial)

CSUN’s men’s basketball team has self-imposed a 2016 post-season ban after acknowledging violations in its 2014-2015 season. CSUN Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Brandon E. Martin made the announcement Thursday following an external investigation into allegations of academic fraud in the previous year.

The department did not say what the violations were but a player on the team who spoke with the LA Times on the condition of anonymity suggested it was an academic related violation.

“I understand the impact that a self-imposed post-season ban will have on our student-athletes and share their disappointment,” CSUN President Diane F. Harrison said in a statement on Thursday. “While our decision was not taken lightly, as a university of higher learning, it is imperative that we demonstrate CSUN takes violations of team rules and university policies seriously.”

The university says it has notified the NCAA of its self-imposed post-season ban. The team currently has a 5-10 record for the season.

CSUN’s athletic department has not responded to The Sundial’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for more information in last year’s investigation.