Safety Fair aims to educate campus about sexual violence

Back to Article
Back to Article

Genean Jue & Rachael Slavinski both majoring art at the AS table at the Safety Fair. Students from the AS side of a table:  Nick Jackson (right), senator for the lower division, Erika Villalvazo(middle), senator for upper division & Zahraa khuraibet(left), senator for engineering and computer science.

Genean Jue & Rachael Slavinski both majoring art at the AS table at the Safety Fair. Students from the AS side of a table: Nick Jackson (right), senator for the lower division, Erika Villalvazo(middle), senator for upper division & Zahraa khuraibet(left), senator for engineering and computer science.

Martin Torres

Students gathered at the Safety fair hosted by Associated Students on Tuesday to raise awareness about sexual violence, rape and discrimination on campus.

DSC07600.JPG

Scott Vanscoy(right), a Captain of University Police Department shows a couple of moves on how to protect yourself from the attacker. Attacker's role here plays Robert Cabrera(left), who is a Psychology major.

Sean Hosen Jenkins, president of the CSUN MenCARE, wanted to educate on how society and gender norms can cause violence.

“We work with Project D.A.T.E., were addressing the rape situation,” Jenkins said.

DSC07563.JPG

Dean Foerster(right), an Intern for the Man CARE program and a senior in Public Health explains what the Man CARE program is about to Allan Mercado, who is also a Public Health major and Emily Guardado Macias, whose major is Child Development.

Jenkins added that they’re not stating that all men are rapists, but that statistics show the majority of rapists are men.

“As a result of male mindsets and philosophies that no one has challenged, we’re here to challenge that,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins started MenCARE in spring of 2016. They have been working with the Greek system, student life and athletics to promote leadership and stop sexual assault on campus.

The AS fair also had police bomb dog Daisy the K9 present along with the Blues Project booth. Daisy the K9 makes sure that bomb threats on campus are looked into and the Blues Project raises awareness about mental health struggles students go through.

DSC07626.JPG

Daisy is the K9 unit for CSUN Police Services. She is a "bomb dog." Officer Virgil Messmore said that they took her pretty young, at 13 months. Daisy is a mix between European Labrador and American Labrador, she is very friendly and energetic.

DSC07569.JPG

Briana Russo(left), a Political Science major, tells Nat Booncherm, who is an Asian American Studies major, about what support students can get on campus, raising depression awareness.

The AS fair promoted student safety and with the involvement of other campus organizations, spread awareness on how students can not only protect themselves but how students can utilize campus resources as well.