CSU budget cuts protesters start marches on and around campus for Day of Action

Students gathered in front of the Oviatt Library to protest budget cuts on education. They marched around various areas of the campus to raise awarness and invite people to walk out. Photo Credit: Misael Virgen/Photo Editor

The number of protesters gathering in front of the Oviatt Library began to gradually grow around 11:20 a.m.

Students first began to gather in front of the library at 10:20 a.m.

Bayramian Hall was one of the locations visited around this time by a group of protesters who passed by Admissions and Records and proceeded to the second floor.

Chants were sung on the first floor as they ascended to the second floor of the building.

“What do we want?” a group leader yelled. “Accessible education” the crowd responded.

“When do we want it?” he added. “Now!” responded the crowd.

Students then reconvened in front of the library, while protest leaders tried to move students to the next destination at the corner of Reseda Boulevard and Prairie Street at 10:40 a.m.

Junior Philosophy student Robert Megill, 27, was at the Oviatt Library as another group began to form at 11:15 a.m.

Megill said he attended the protest in an effort to gain more information on its purpose. He said his professor would not have class today and would hold office hours instead.

“I thought it would be the best place to find out about the issues of the protest,” Megill said.