Late night eats: gastropubs

Restaurant: Father’s Office (http://fathersoffice.com)

Location: 1018 Montana Ave. Santa Monica, CA 90403 (1953, renovated in 2000)

Weekend Hours: Thursday 5 p.m.- 1 a.m. (bar) 5 p.m.- 11 p.m. (kitchen)

Friday 4 p.m.- 2 a.m. (bar) 4 p.m.- 11 p.m. (kitchen)

Saturday 12 p.m.- 2 a.m. (bar) 12 p.m.- 11 p.m. (kitchen)

Sunday 12 p.m.- 12 a.m. (bar) 12 p.m.- 10 p.m. (kitchen)

Location: 3229 Helms Ave. Culver City, CA 90034 (second location established in 2008)

Directions: Take the Venice Blvd. exit off I-10 E/W, head east/west, restaurant on right/left

Contact #: (310) 736-2224

Fri. & Sat. 12 p.m.- 2 a.m. (bar) 12 p.m.- 12 a.m. (kitchen)

Recommend:

1. Dining– Keep parties small (?4 persons) and ask to be seated at the patio; if you’re going solo, snag a bar stool.

2. Take To Your Bartender– Cozy up with one of Father’s fine purveyors of booze to optimize beer pairings with their delicious burger menu.

3. Listen To Thy Neighbor– Get the Father’s Office Burger, which include bleu cheese and caramelized onions, and a side of Sweet Potato fries.

Diner’s Notes: Even with two locations, Father’s Office has had little trouble satisfying thousands of ravenous diners in Culver City and Santa Monica. Father’s notoriety has spread much further than its respective communities, and the lines here are naught to be trifled with. Expect to wait on weekend evenings, especially around game time. However, the menu (and beer, of course) is well worth the wait. The Father’s Office Burger is great with a round-bodied red ale, or even a darker stout. If you’re not feeling one of their juicy beef patty options, look to their ‘Specials’ menu board for gastronomic inspiration.

Fun Fact: Owner, San Yoon, is featured on Top Chef Masters Season 5

Restaurant: Library Alehouse (http://libraryalehouse.net)

Location: 2911 Main Street Santa Monica, CA 90405 (est. 1995, new ownership in 2012)

Directions: Take the Main St. exit off I-10 W, head south, restaurant will be on the left

Contact #: (310) 314-4855

Weekend Hours: Thurs.- Sun. 11 a.m.- 10:30 p.m.

Online Ordering– last available order 30 min. before closing

Recommend:

1. Branch Out– Instead of a burger, select something from the ‘Light Reading’ category, such as witbier-braised mussels, or fish & chips from ‘Collective Works.’

2. Pig Out– Make it a meal and add a ‘Basket of Fries’ for only $2.50…They also have a more upscale dinner menu, with offerings such as oxtail poutine and a healthy Main Street salad.

3. Book A Flight– Choose 4-5oz. beers from an ample selection of craft micro-brews to get you started if you’re hesitant of commitment to just one beer.

Fun Fact: Hosting ‘Strong Ale Fest’ from Dec. 19- 31

Diner’s Notes: Slightly more upscale than its Santa Monica neighbor, Father’s Office, Library Alehouse’s menu is comprised of elevated bar food fare, such as braised oxtail poutine and a fairly tasty salmon burger. Like Father’s, Library’s name more closely reads like a school-supply store, rather than a fine-dining gastropub. Library has concocted a fine balance of food and alcohol, consistently turning in above average homework assignments. Inside, the dining area can get pretty dim, as the candles are more for ambiance than as an adequate light source. Don’t let the prices steer your ordering gameplan– relaxing at Library with a handful of good beers will surely soothe any post-coitus wallet blues you may encounter.

Restaurant: The Oinkster

Location: 2005 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041 – Neighborhood: Eagle Rock

Hours: Mon-Thu, Sun 11 am – 10 pm

Fri-Sat 11 am – 11 pm

Recommended:

1. Burger of the month – Don’t think about what it is or what’s on it, just order it and prepare for greatness.

2. Mix it up – The Oinkster doesn’t substitute anything on their burgers, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add on. Try a little of the homemade chipotle ketchup, or a side of the red cabbage slaw if you want to get real crazy.

3. Nightcap – Regardless of how full you are, getting a milkshake is an absolute must. Slurp through the pain!

Fun Fact: Fine Dining chef, Andre Guerrero, opened The Oinkster to bring his high-minded culinary expertise to a more casual experience. The result: Slow fast food.

Restaurant: The Local Peasant

Location: 22901 Ventura Blvd. Woodland Hills, CA 91364 (.4 miles east of Woodlake Avenue).

Hours: Mon-Sun 4pm-2am. Brunch Sat-Sun 11am-3pm

Recommended: Fruili- Strawberry White Ale, Alesmith-Nut Brown Ale.

Diner’s Notes: We all know the valley isn’t really as “hip” and “happening” as Hollywood, or Santa Monica, but fear not! The Local Peasant in Woodland Hills is a great place to hang out with your friends if you want to grab a couple drinks, or simply eat great food! If you’re not into grabbing dinner and just looking to have a couple drinks, The Local Peasant is the place to be. The gorgeous, spacious layout gives the bar a really open and inviting feel, along with plenty of delicious drinks to choose from. The wide assortment ranges from kegged beer to fruity cocktails and everything in between. But one of the best aspects about the bar is the vibe that radiates from it. The atmosphere has a 1920s prohibition feel, which makes you feel ten times more sophisticated once you step inside. This place is definitely a must see.