Carson Daly hosts Universal City Walk’s annual tree lighting ceremony

Santa Claus and the Voice contestants and host Carson Daly celebrate the lighting of Universal Studio’s City Walk Christmas Tree lighting. Photo Credit: Vincent Gnuyen/Sundial Staff

Universal Studios CityWalk held its annual Christmas tree lighting Nov. 24 near the Hard Rock Cafe. Along with the Christmas tree lighting, the 10 finalists from the hit show “The Voice” performed a concert for the audience in honour of the spectacular lighting.

“The Voice” host Carson Daly opened up the show to everyone and vamped up the crowd before lighting up the tree. Later in the evening, Daly brought out  “The Voice” judges Adam Levine and Blake Shelton to preview the remainder of the night’s events. Daly also talked to the judges briefly about the show, and about Levine’s upcoming tour with his pop-rock band Maroon 5.

Moments after the judges departed, Daly brought on the man of the hour – Santa Claus. The crowd roared with joy as St. Nick walked down the aisle toward the Christmas tree, waving and meeting kids along the way.

Daly later brought on all 10 finalists of “The Voice” to help him and Santa hit the switch to begin Universal Studios’ holiday festivities.

With a quick flip of the switch, the tree slowly lit up. As the tree continued to light up music blasted from all sides of CityWalk, blasting confetti everywhere. Everyone cheered as the lighting lit the way for the holiday season. The tree shined red, green and white, before slowly transitioning the color scheme to a more warm blue and white.

The finalists left the stage and prepared to perform, and the crowd took advantage of the jumbotron as they tried to get their seconds of fame on the big screen.
Each finalist sang song covers of their choice such as Coldplay’s “Fix You,” Muse’s “Starlight,” and Otis Redding’s “Try a Little Tenderness,” a fitting end to kick-off the holiday season.