Crafts to do with kids for Valentine’s Day

MCT

As Valentine’s Day approaches, we begin to buy gifts and planning a great night for that special someone. But what if that special someone is under 5-feet-tall and refers to you as mom or dad? Here are some great crafts and activities to do with your kids on Valentines Day.

Salt Dough Heart Footprints

Salt Dough Heart Footprints is a fun craft for kids, and creates a great gift and keepsake for family members!

To make salt dough mix:

-2 cups of flour

-1 cup of salt

-1 cup of water

Once mixed, roll the dough out evenly. Place your child’s feet onto the dough, making a heart shape by placing their heels together. Using a knife, cut around the footprints, creating a heart shape. Leave the dough out to dry overnight. In the morning, place the dough in the oven for three to four hours at 250 degrees, checking it occasionally to make sure there isn’t cracking. Once cooled, give it to your child to decorate with various paint colors, markers, sparkles and jewels!

Heart Suncatchers

The heart suncatchers create a beautiful Valentine’s Day decoration kids can be proud of, and that will light up the room.

Materials needed:

-large white basket coffee filters

-liquid water colors or food dye

Begin by flattening out the coffee filters, and cutting them into various heart shapes and sizes. Place the hearts on a plastic tray or surface that can be easily thrown away. Now let the kids paint the hearts with various colors and designs. Once dry, tape them to the window and watch the colors shine into room!

LIFE HBY-KIDSKRAFTS 2 AK

Valentine’s Day Slime

Kids will love this festive slimy goop that makes for a great science project!

Supplies for slime:

-Elmer’s washable glue

-liquid starch

-water

-food coloring

-2 bowls and spoons

-glitter and heart confetti

-measuring cup

In the first bowl, mix ½ cup of water and ½ cup of glue. Then add in color, glitter and heart confetti. In the second bowl, measure out ½ cup of liquid starch. Proceed to slowly mix the contents of the two bowls together. Begin mixing with hands until fully combined. Then let the slime fun begin!

Individual Heart-Shaped Pizzas

These heart-shaped pizzas are great to make together with the kids for Valentine’s Day dinner or for a snack!

Pizza ingredients:

-pre-made mini pizza crust

-pizza sauce

-shredded mozzarella cheese

– olive oil

-garlic powder

-toppings of choice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll the pizza flat and using kitchen scissors, cut the dough into a heart shape. Proceed to place the dough on a baking sheet and lightly cover with olive oil. Then let the kids decorate the pizza with cheese, sauce and the toppings they have chosen. Bake for eight to 10 minutes and enjoy!

Handmade Valentine’s Day Cards

These fun Valentine’s Day cards are literally made from a sketch of your child’s hands! This original card makes a great gift for friends and family.

Materials:

-scissors

-colored paper

-markers, paints and other decorative items

Place your child’s hands on the paper, placing their thumb and index finger together, making a heart shape. Trace around your child’s fingers and cut the print out. Now let the kids decorate the hands with various items and messages!