Sundial Songs of the Week: Fall Series, Vol. 3

Three weeks into the semester and we’re already counting down the weeks until we can cut a break for Thanksgiving.

DJ Du is taking a week off and stepping in her place is the creator of the Sundial Songs of the Week playlist, OG Vince Nguyen.

We’ve got a doozey for you this week, especially when Tinashe decides to release a new hit “Party Favors,” with Young Thug, who’s fresh off of working with Travi$ Scott on his new album. If you were hoping for another “2 On” hit, think otherwise. This is a song you’d want to pay a favor to at a party, with bass hits that will pop the speakers out.

We’ve got songs off of two new albums – one being from the aforementioned Travi$ Scott, whose “Maria I’m Drunk” featuring Young Thug and surprise guest Justin Bieber. Don’t let his notoriety, fool you, Bieber will turn heads with his verse in this one. The bass line and Young Thug’s hook will, well, get you hooked.

https://soundcloud.com/ryanmcounsell/jay-rock-vice-city?in=sundial-songs-of-the-week/sets/fall-sotw-3

Another hit comes from the last Black Hippy member to release his record, the hard-hitting Jay Rock. “Vice City” features all prominent Top Dawg Entertainment artists, that means Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q and Kendrick Lamar. It’s great to hear Black Hippy on a track again and it’s good to hear each one have a take on a nice new verse flow.

https://soundcloud.com/officialbfree/11-maria-im-drunk-feat-justin?in=sundial-songs-of-the-week/sets/fall-sotw-3

A while back, I featured Eryn Allen Kane’s “Have Mercy,” and she’s back with an even jazzier and powerful tune in “Slipping.” Kane showcases her elastic vocals with a feel-good vibe accompanied with not-so-feel-good lyrics.

Mark Redito’s “3 AM Apologies” brings a littler mood to the list and if you enjoy Flume, you’ll like this track. Formerly known as Spazzkid, the artist portrays his raw emotions into one track. It sounds cliché, but you decide.

Other notable artists on this list are Kygo, Chet Faker and Steve Aoki. In case you missed last week’s list, you can catch it below.

Check out the list and share your thoughts on our playlist, as well as pitch songs to us. If you’re a CSUN student, contribute your music to us. We want to share your sounds. Tweet at us @CultureClashSun, or email us at ane@csun.edu.