Councilmember Imelda Padilla holds Armenian rally in Sun Valley

Students from Ulysses S. Grant High School’s Armenian Club watch an opera singer perform on Saturday, April 27, 2024, in Sun Valley.

A day of remembrance of the Armenian Genocide took place at Sun Valley Recreation Center on Saturday, April 27.

Lake Balboa Field Deputy Rosie Avetisyan, who works for CSUN alumnus and Councilmember Imelda Padilla’s office, organized the Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day, a community rally to discuss the resilience of Armenian people.

Padilla was joined by Parents, Educators/Teachers & Students in Action (PESA), the Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region, and Matador Dems.

“We chose to hold the rally here in Sun Valley Rec Center because there are so many Armenians, particularly Armenian seniors, that live adjacent to the park,” Padilla explained.

The park also houses pomegranate trees, which are considered symbolic to Armenians.

About 20% of residents in the Northeast/Sunland, Sun Valley and Tujunga area speak Armenian, according to the 2020 U.S. Census. Nearly 200,000 Armenians live in Los Angeles County.

The rally opened up with a prayer, followed by dance performances, spoken word, poetry and singing.

Paul Krekorian, president of the Los Angeles City Council, was among the keynote speakers.

“This is not just marking the genocide of the Armenians in 1915,” Krekorian said. “This is an event that marks the survival of the Armenian community, the strength and resilience. We are a community that has enriched this world with our ancient culture.”