Welcome to Wellness event spotlights resources for students health

Rasta Ghafouri
CSUN chiropractors handed out flyers to students on Sept. 17 in the Grand Salon to inform them about what medical enhancements our student health center provides. Photo Credit: Rasta Ghafouri/ The Sundial
Students take a break from class at the Art Therapy booth to paint during the Wellness fair on Sept. 17 in the Grand Salon. Their paintings were later hung and dried to be displayed in Salon. Photo Credit: Rasta Ghafouri/ The Sundial

CSUN students were able to get a respite from the rigours of class work and studying by attending the Welcome to Wellness celebration at the University Student Union’s Plaza del Sol today.

The event featured workshops on anxiety, health, and depression management. Students were also able to find out about campus resources to assist in their well being.

With representatives from the Student Recreation Center, Klotz Student Health Center, and the University Student Union, students were able to ask questions and receive informational material.

“Students can come in when they want a rest from school. It helps them take the stress off from classes,” said Isaiah Cantu, a junior kinesiology major. “Our goal is to reach out to new students on campus, get them involved, and make sure they feel that they are a part of this school. We want them to feel more welcome.”

Fresh fruit and water were also handed out at the event.

“We’re into fitness and health; the free water outside saved our lives today,” said Tristan Anguiano, freshman business major. “We grabbed some free fruit and vegetables to help us last the rest of the day.”

Dr. Robert Patterson of CSUN’s Klotz Student Health Center was on hand to let students know about his center’s services. Students can make an appointment to receive a massage, see a dentist, chiropractor, optometrist, or physical therapist, Patterson said.

“We are all here on a part-time schedule, so students would have to make appointments,” Patterson said.

To demonstrate their massage services, students were able to receive a five-minute massage at massage chairs above the Grand Salon.

“The resources are available for students so it can help them make better decisions,” said Amanda Christianson, CSUN fitness coordinator.