Keeping culture alive

Amoeba Music announces closure, new location opening in the fall

Amoeba+Musics+classic+Hollywood+location+closes+down+due+to+the+coronavirus+and+plans+to+relocate.+

Samantha Bravo

Amoeba Music’s classic Hollywood location closes down due to the coronavirus and plans to relocate.

Samantha Bravo, Assistant Campus Editor

Records, posters and memorabilia decorating the walls from floor to ceiling — just one of the many characteristics music enthusiasts enjoyed when they walked into Amoeba Music in Hollywood.

Located on Sunset Boulevard, Amoeba Music is considered the go-to record store in Los Angeles, with an array of records, CDs, DVDs, films, books and more, this music store has a little bit of everything.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Amoeba announced on Monday they will no longer reopen their current location this year and will focus on opening their new location at 6200 Hollywood Blvd., just a few blocks away from the original building.

Amoeba’s Hollywood location is preparing their new location to reopen in fall. Samantha Bravo

“We have to move in the fall and there are timelines and tasks involved in making that happen. That was set into motion long before COVID-19,” Amoeba said in a statement. “If we don’t focus on getting the new store ready for the fall opening, the hard reality is we may never open again anywhere.”

Vinyl has made a comeback throughout the years. It provides the listener a unique way to listen to music, rather than just digitally or on the radio. To keep up with student trends, the CSUN bookstore sold records and turntables in store and on their online store.

As record stores were considered nonessential, Amoeba and other record stores in LA, such as CD Trader in Tarzana and Freakbeat Records in Sherman Oaks, closed their doors and shifted to selling their merchandise online.

“While, of course, we all know music is ‘essential,’ we respect that under the current circumstances music retail is not,” Amoeba said. “Our store sees over a million customers each year, making us a higher-risk environment during this pandemic than most.”

Last week, Amoeba launched a GoFundMe campaign with a goal of $400,000, which will be used to assist with the move and help continue the employment of the 400 staff in all three locations.

“The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted our ability to staff our website fully, and moving from our current location will encumber availability of certain products, but we don’t expect Amoeba.com to go ‘dark’ entirely at any point,” Amoeba said.

In November 2001, Amoeba Music in Hollywood was created and at 24,000 square feet, it is the largest from the three locations: Berkeley, San Francisco and Hollywood.

The record store is also an acclaimed event venue, hosting live performances, charity events, and record and book releases.

Every year, the international event Record Store Day is hosted around April to celebrate independent record stores. It is a day where vinyl enthusiasts stand in line, sometimes for hours, to purchase a limited edition or new release albums of their favorite artists. This year, the event has been postponed until June 20.

“There are so many unknowns and uncertainties for a business like ours,” Amoeba said. “The only thing we do know for certain is that we want to survive. We want to be there for our amazing customers and our incredible staff long after this pandemic disappears. The only way we can keep Amoeba Hollywood alive in the long run is to make this difficult decision now.”

While their location is changing, the record store will continue to provide the community a diverse collection of music, books and movies during and after the move.

Their current “New Music We Like” booklet can be downloaded here. For updates on the move, follow their social media accounts on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Samantha Bra
Fans place a heart made of CDs outside of Amoeba’s Hollywood location.