Nationwide eviction ban enacted; Newsom signed tenant and landlord protection legislation

Angelina Cayabyab, Contributor

The Centers for Disease Control forecasts an upward trend in the number of deaths nationwide. Los Angeles County currently holds the record for the most confirmed cases in the nation.

We have compiled data and guidance from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health and the Johns Hopkins University and Medicine’s Coronavirus Resource Center to provide an update for L.A. County. Data is up to date as of Sept. 4. Here is your weekly COVID-19 update.

Total cases:

Total count of cases and deaths as of Sept. 4. (L.A. County Department of Public Health)

Since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in L.A. County on Jan. 26, the number of positive cases continues to rise. Over 2% of L.A. County’s population of 10 million has tested positive for COVID-19.

COVID-19 curve of cumulative cases in Los Angeles County as of Sept. 4. (L.A. County Department of Public Health)

Hospitalizations:

There are 984 COVID-19 positive patients currently hospitalized in L.A. County. 310 COVID-positive patients are in the Intensive Care Unit. The County currently has 913 available ICU beds.

Race and ethnicity:
Los Angeles County’s data shows cases and deaths disproportionately affect people of color.

Breakdown of cases by race and ethnicity as of Sept. 4. (L.A. County Department of Public Health)

The L.A. County of Department of Public Health reported that the Latino population accounts for 50.5% of all COVID-19 deaths.

Breakdown of deaths by race and ethnicity as of Sept. 4. (L.A. County Department of Public Health)

Local official updates:

California is unveiling a new COVID-19 report system in October

OptumInsight Inc., a consulting firm for health industries, has gathered a database of COVID-19 testing results and replaced the previous reporting system, the California Reportable Disease Information Exchange. CalREDIE was inefficient as it caused a backlog of up to 300,000 cases due to discrepancies.

California is enacting a new COVID-19 report system to calculate accurate positivity rates, provide efficient contact tracing and investigate newer cases in a timely manner. Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of California’s Health and Human Services, said in an interview with CalMatters, that the new lab managed by PerkinElmer, a Massachusetts-based diagnostic company, will allow them to collect more information in the new COVID-19 data reporting system.

Newsom signs legislation protecting tenants and landlords

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a legislation that allows tenants and landlords to avoid evictions and foreclosures respectively due to the economic impact of COVID-19.

“This new law protects tenants from eviction for non-payment of rent and helps keep homeowners out of foreclosure as a result of economic hardship caused by this terrible pandemic … but it’s just a bridge to a more permanent solution once the federal government finally recognizes its role in stabilizing the housing market,” Newsom said.

CDC enacts nationwide eviction ban

The Centres of Disease Control is ordering a temporary ban on evictions nationwide — which would have affected up to 40 million people — in an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, according to NPR.

Renters will be placed in a temporary situation of not being evicted if they meet the eligibility criteria. To qualify, individuals have to certify that they have an income less than $99,000 in 2020 or twice the amount if a joint tax is filed, and that eviction would result in their homelessness or living in proximity with more people.

“It’s a pretty extraordinary and bold and unprecedented measure that the White House is taking that will save lives and prevent tens of millions of people from losing their homes in the middle of a pandemic,” said Diane Yentel, the CEO of the National Low Income Housing Coalition in the NPR article.

Reopening of indoor operations for shopping malls, hair salons, barbershops and special needs schools

Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn stated that hair salons and barbershops can reopen indoor operations within 25% capacity.

Additionally, the Los Angeles County School District is opening in-person classes for children with disabilities and students learning English as a second language.

According to CBS Los Angeles, Lisa Mosko, the director of Special Education Advocacy for the group Speak Up, said a survey by the group found that 50% of parents with children with disabilities were not getting the services they needed.

“So many students can’t simply access the support and instruction they need via distance learning even with everybody’s best efforts,” Mosko said.

What’s open:
Grocery stores
Essential retail
Non-essential retail with outdoor entrances
Parks and beaches with modifications
Golf courses
Hotels
Shared residential pools
Nail salons (outdoors with modifications) – limited to 25% capacity
Hair salons – limited to 25% capacity

Barber shops – limited to 25% capacity
Gyms (outdoors with modifications)
Special Needs Schools

What’s closed:
Indoor dining at restaurants
Indoor houses of worship

Indoor shopping malls
Indoor gyms
Bars
Tattoo shops

Face masks are still required in public. Gatherings should be limited to only people in your household, according to health officals.

Testing:

Mayor Eric Garcetti announced that testing centers will be closed over the weekend due to the extreme heat in L.A. County.

The L.A. County website lists 168 testing locations available for both walk-up and drive-up testing. Testing is available by appointment only.

A comprehensive map of testing locations can be found here.

Editor’s Note: The Story was updated at 10:41 a.m. on Sept. 8 to correct a reporting error involving Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn’s announcement.