CSUN hosts annual fall open house

Ashley Sanchez
File Photo. Future Matadors gathered around on Cleary Walk to ask questions to various resource booths during Summer Celebration in Northridge, Calif., on June 29, 2023.

On Oct. 30 Student Outreach and Recruitment worked alongside campus partners and departments to host Open House at CSUN.

Previously called “Preview Day,” Open House is an informative event that provides incoming high school and community college students with several activities to learn about CSUN and its application process.

Antonette Abejueala, the recruitment and yield event specialist for SOAR, coordinated the open house. As Abejueala explained, through the process of organizing the event, she and other members felt a sense of “Matador pride” and wanted to make sure that the event succeeded at informing and welcoming the newcomers.

Attendees had the opportunity to attend informational seminars ranging from financial aid to student life, go on guided tours around campus and hear from the Student Diversity Panel which highlighted the varied experiences of CSUN students.

Among the several activities available, the longest running event during the open house was the Resource Fair. The fair gained huge traction from students and their families. The Resource Fair was set in front of the CSUN University Library, with booths for nearly every academic department, organization and club.

High school students, including those outside Los Angeles county, visited CSUN to learn more about its programs at the fair.

Alixandra Deltran, from Taft Charter High School, dreams of either becoming a dermatologist or getting a master’s degree in business. Deltran feels that CSUN will be a good fit for her as it is close to home and offers the programs she seeks.

“My favorite part of the event was just learning about the different programs and learning that you don’t have to choose just one,” Deltran said. “There are different options available that include your major, but also other majors.”

Other students shared similar sentiments. Jose Hernandez, who attends Alliance Marine, said his career goal is to work as a veterinarian.

“I think CSUN would be good. The atmosphere of the campus and the proximity makes it a really good fit for me,” Hernandez shared.

During the event, the Matador Band put on a drum performance, and a Matador mascot wandered around campus taking pictures with guests.

Some students who participated in the tour were shocked to find out that the University Library was featured in Star Trek. Others discovered more about our medical and Chicano studies program.

Representatives of various programs were thrilled to be a part of the open house.
Luis Valdez, president of the American Society of Civil Engineers, participated in the fair to represent his program.

“We’re expanding out to a lot of people who are interested in engineering or just not sure what they want to do. We act as a resource for them,” Valdez explained. “We definitely want people to feel welcomed.”

Student Outreach and Recruitment director Juana Maria Valdivia says her organization is devoted to offering a rich and unforgettable experience at Open House every year to increase enrollment.

“Our faculty and staff are fiercely committed to student success,” Valdivia said in a press release. “Guests who attend Open House will really get a glimpse of the positive community we’ve created here as they learn how becoming a CSUN Matador will help them reach their goals.”